French sailor Laurent Campruby survives 16 hours under capsized boat in Atlantic Ocean

French sailor Laurent Campruby survives 16 hours under capsized boat in Atlantic Ocean
Written by boustamohamed31


A French sailor trapped under a capsized sailboat in the Atlantic Ocean used an air bladder to stay alive until he was rescued 16 hours later, according to Spanish coast guard officials.

the sailor who was identified by Spanish media as Laurent Campruby, sent out a distress call on Monday when his sailboat Jeanne SOLO Sailor capsized around 14 miles from the coast in the Spanish islands of Cisargas.

Dramatic video the footage shows a Spanish search and rescue diver pounding on the bottom of the boat, listening for signs of life. After being rescued on Tuesday, Camprubi, 62, said he was able to survive thanks to an air bladder, according to Spanish Coast Guard and media releases.

The sailor said he was shocked to realize the extent of the damage to his boat – a broken mast, destroyed boom, keel and most of the equipment.

“I couldn’t understand how I managed to survive,” Campruby from Marseille, told Spanish newspaper La Voz de Galicia. “The conditions were very unfavorable.”

Va. A couple who went missing while sailing has been found safe, the Coast Guard says

Camprubi set sail on his 40-foot vessel on Sunday from the Portuguese capital of Lisbon. according to Reuters. He was competing in a qualifying race for the upcoming Route du Rhum transatlantic solo sailing race, which takes place every four years.

He had arrived on Monday in Fistera in the west Spain, where he encounters strong winds and three-meter waves and soon realizes that his boat has lost its keel, a beam that runs down the middle of the boat, he said in an interview with La Voz de Galicia.

“I was trying to pull in the mainsail when the boat started pitching,” he told the paper. “So without a second thought I went in and within 15 seconds the boat had capsized.”

In a rescue mission that is described as “on the edge of the impossible”, the rescue teams battled the rough seas. Vicente Kobelo, a member of the Coast Guard’s Special Operations Team, told laSexta TV station that when the lifeguard hit the boat Monday night to see if there were any survivors, he got an answer.

“That’s when we knew there was someone down there,” he said.

But the waters were too rough to attempt a rescue. So the team had to wait until the next morning to try again.

As Camprubi waited for help, he said he used the air bladder to breathe and tried not to panic. He said La Voz de Galicia it It was the thought that he would no longer see his wife and children that helped him survive the ordeal.

He added that the air bubble was about 27 inches long on Monday, but shrank dramatically overnight. By Tuesday, the water was filling and he knew his time was running out. But he kept his cool, he said.

“I never panicked,” he told La Voz de Galicia. “I tried to see the reality and find solutions. I was afraid of never seeing my children again.”

On Tuesday, two divers swam under the boat to free the sailor, who was wearing a life jacket and was submerged in water up to his knees, Coast Guard officials said.

Kobello, a member of the Coast Guard, told reporters that when divers approached the boat, the sailor jumped into the frozen water and swam under the boat to reach the surface.

“On his own initiative, he entered the water and dived free, assisted by the divers who had to pull him out because it was difficult for him to get out in his life suit,” Cobello told laSexta TV station.

Shortly after noon on Tuesday, rescue crews could be seen on video pulling him to safety.

Camprubi, who is an experienced sailor and has competed in many local and international competitions, told La Voz de Galicia that the experience made him decide he would no longer compete professionally.

“I don’t want to risk my life anymore,” he said. “I just want to take care of my family.”

About the author


Leave a Comment